Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Happy New Year (Almost)

So as per tradition, I am spending some time looking at what I did this past year and what I need to improve upon.

I think I've documented most of my major victories quite well on this blog, and I anticipate many new ones in the year to come.

There are some new road blocks in my path, however, that I need to address.

First off, I have been suffering from some sort of intestinal ailment since July of this year. After much research and consideration, I am pretty sure I either have Crohn's Disease or Ulcerative Colitis. I am not a hypochondriac. Indeed, I have not been sick for almost 2 years--not even a cold.

However, the continuous and regular onset of colonic pain and diarrhea are symptoms of both, and I'm finding that naming it is helping me to figure out what to do next.

I hate doctors, and I really don't trust them.

So my first action will be to dial in my nutrition 100%--no sugar, no coffee, no dairy and I have to watch the fatty meats and too many nuts, as I've noticed those foods tend to bring it on worse.

The second action, is an experiment. I am going to go 100% Paleo/Zone rather than the Paleo "sort of" Zone diet I have been on for the last 4 months. Dr. Sears has done some experiments using the Zone to keep down inflammation, and Crohn's disease is essentially inflammation of the intestinal track--namely the colon.

I am going to log my food and reactions here mainly for myself, as it's pretty boring stuff for others to read, and we'll see what happens.

If it gets worse, I'll give the old medical establishment a try. If it doesn't, then obviously that won't be necessary.

The idea of living with a colostomy bag (worse case scenario if it were to get drastically worse) is obviously something I'd like to avoid. Gross.

Now the Good News!

The good news is that there are only a few short months left before regionals, so what an opportune time to go perfect on my nutrition anyway.

It's time to get serious. I at least want to know that I went in giving my best effort.

I'll start recording my daily WODs and efforts here as well. I am inspired by some of my CrossFit Heroines--Kate Rawlings being my favorite of late!

My current PR's, along with the dates (for most) are already on my blog. I will update them as they improve.

Having only been CrossFitting for 17 months, and starting out weaker than the average bear, I am an underdog. But if I can improve my stats in a big way over the next few months, at least I'll know in my heart of hearts that I gave it my all.

Onward ho!

No comments: